Here we will talk about yoga for weight loss.
Is using yoga for weight loss the best way to lose weight? Well that depends on the person, the style of yoga we are talking about and other environmental factors that may be present.
First we must understand what it means to lose weight. For most of us it means to lose fat.
How does our body lose fat? This is what we need to understand if we are going to be successful in loosing weight.
In reality there is ONLY ONE WAY to lose weight (fat), you must use more calories then you take in. With ALL the products and marketing out there it all comes down to that one statement.
This is why diets do not really work, Yes you do need to watch what you eat, but not eating is worse for you then eating to much. We need to have a balanced diet that gives us the nutrition we need and also keeps the calories to a manageable level. For more information on that visit my Yoga Diet page
However sometimes there are things that influence how much weight we can lose, and how effective our weight loss program can be. Let us talk about a few of the things that can inhibit your Yoga for weight loss program.
- Stress is a common factor in people who have the extra pounds. When we are stressed our metabolism suffers and because of that we retain more calories and calories retained become fat. there will be many posts on this site that will deal with stress and stress reduction. Just be aware that the more stress you have the harder to lose the weight. So be kind t yourself and one piece of good news is regular exercise has been proven to reduce stress. When you use yoga for weight loss it also helps reduce our stress.
- The level or intensity of our training will also affect how much weight comes off. If you are like me you like to work out very hard and push yourself to your limits and then past them. However this is NOT the best strategy to loosing weight. For me the hardest part of my training for weight loss was not getting to the gym, but making sure I did not work out too hard. For some of you this will be great news since you do not want to work out hard anyways *SMILE*. More on this will be added on a separate page detailing my program. When we use yoga for weight loss, it fits perfectly with this philosophy, since yoga is a more balanced form of exercise. For more mainstream exercise fitness you can visit my friends site.
- What you eat is more important then counting calories. Yes, you do need to make sure you have a calorie deficiency to lose weight, and it takes a 3500 calorie deficiency to lose 1 lb of fat, in using yoga for weight loss you will have all the calorie burning power you need. However you will have the best results by making sure you have some calories from Carbohydrates before your workout (not a lot but some). It is really funny since we all know carbs turn into fat, but most of us do not know that the body cannot burn fat without carbs. There is a quote I like: Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame. Remember it. Also vegetables, fruits and fish are best to eat during fat loss. You can still eat red meat, but try to cut back on it if you can… fish and beans can give you the protein you need. When using yoga for weight loss, you should also think about your diet, you can see my page on yoga diets for more information. Remember the main thing is a calorie deficiency to lose weight… But maintain the calories you need for life, for most of us that is about 2,000 Calories a day.
- DO it with a friend. Having someone to keep you motivated really helps and having some friendly competition will keep you honest outside the gym during the day, when you need to watch what and how much you are eating. Also with two people using yoga for weight loss, if becomes more fun.
- People say dieting does not work, and they are right. To lose weight and keep it off you need a healthy lifestyle. Your diet is part of that, just remember your diet is what you eat and it is not stopping eating.
A key thing to remember is that natural weight loss is very important. All the artificial products out there are not good for you, almost every weight loss drug has undesirable side effects. Do it naturally and there are no side effects. All you need is Nature, knowledge and you.
How a yogi would lose the weight if a yogi needed too.
How would a yogi use yoga for weight loss? He would do it with a healthy lifestyle of course and by listening to his body. This includes a number of things.
Here are some of the topics that would be thought of.
- Yoga conditioning for weight loss
- Yoga and your diet
- Research on what supplement can speed up your weight loss.
- Internal body cleansing
Another thing to add to your Yoga for weight loss program would be of course weight loss through ayurveda – Stay thin with a slender waist. Ayurveda is a perfect ancient science of life; the word AYUR literally means life and VEDA the science or knowledge. Ayurveda briefly explains the knowledge of the do’s and don’ts one has to follow, which favors the well being of each individual to lead a healthy, happy, comfortable and advantageous life physically, mentally & socially. Ayurveda also emphasizes “prevention is better than cure”.
Remember a healthy lifestyle is made up of your Diet (what food you eat and also what supplements you use), regular exercise (yoga, weights, tai chi, karate, whatever you love, a friend even has a site about the benefits of swimming) and stress reducing activities (meditation, hobby you love, time with your family, playing video games whatever activity makes you happy) on a daily basis. This will give you not only the body you want (with tools from this section of my site) but also a happier and better standard of living. You can find some more weight loss tips on my friends site.
This section on using yoga for weight loss is actually very important to me since I needed to lose a lot of weight after my 2nd knee injury (6 months being unable to walk without a cane will get you fat). I will be updating this site A LOT in the coming week so come back often. You can also find a lot more general information about weight loss at my friends site easy weight loss tips.