5 Benefits of Yoga Deep Breathing
How often do you think about the way that you breathe? If you’re like most people you probably aren’t aware of how you breathe. But how you breathe can have a huge impact on your life and your health. Medical studies have shown that the simple act of yoga deep breathing can have significant health benefits. Here are the top 5 ways that simply taking a few moments to breathe deeply can really improve your health:.
1. Deep breathing reduces stress – When you’re very stressed out stop and take 10 very deep breaths. You will instantly feel more relaxed. Try it, you’ll see. Yoga deep breathing supplies the oxygen that your body needs to function well and that extra influx of oxygen can revitalize your body and your mind which will reduce stress and help keep you calm.
2. Deep breathing reduces pain – Have you ever noticed that doctors and medical personnel tell mothers that are giving birth to breathe deeply? Or maybe you’ve noticed that coaches tell athletes that are injured on the field to take deep breaths? That’s because when you take deep breaths your body releases endorphins. Endorphins are your body’s way of fighting pain.
3. Deep breathing helps you relax – Have you ever been told to breathe deeply and count to 10 when you’re angry or upset? Breathing deeply will help your relax and calm down which is why people are encouraged to breathe deeply when they are angry or upset. Taking deep breaths will increase the oxygen flow to your brain which will help you calm down.
4. Deep breathing can reduce your risk of high blood pressure – There are some medical studies that show a connection between high blood pressure and a shallow, fast breathing rate. So the faster your breathing rate is the more likely you are to suffer from high blood pressure. Taking time each day to be more aware of your breath and to breathe slowly and deeply can help you lower your risk of high blood pressure.
5. Deep breathing can increase your energy level – Do you have trouble staying awake after lunch? Do you always feel your energy dip in the mid-afternoon? Millions of people have problems keeping their energy levels up during the day and turn to caffeine or other stimulants when you can get the same energy boost by taking some time to breathe deeply. The extra oxygen that you get from those deep breaths can give you all the boost that you need to get through your day.
Jay Franco has been a Yoga enthusiast since an early age. He is constantly trying to find practical ways of implementing this ancient knowledge into his Western lifestyle.